Jobless, homeless, spouseless.
I left town, relocating north to lick my wounds and plan the next phase of my life.
I wasn't sleeping. I wasn't eating.
Honestly, I looked great. Since the ordeal had begun, I had lost close to 60 pounds.
I was wasting away.
I had handled my marriage with honor.
There is an old saying, "History is written by the winners".
I discovered a few weeks later that the winner was giving a different version of events to anyone that would listen.
As it turns out, public opinion was that I deserved everything that had befallen me, what with all my infidelities and drinking.
At least she didn't accuse me of beating her. I think even she knew that one wouldn't fly.
I didn't care. Other than a few individuals, I didn't care what people thought of me. I was no longer a part of their lives. If believing that I had been a cad and a lush throughout my marriage made it easier for them, so be it.
I called the few people that mattered and told them exactly what had transpired. They already knew. They still believed in me, as the man they had known. From the outside looking in, they had an idea of what the dynamic was.
The irony is that my shortcomings as a complete person tipped them off. My habit of staying home, not socializing, not meeting new people... it made it inconcievable to them that the things she said about me were true.
"I found it hard to believe that you were cheating on her in the livingroom" was how one friend put it.
I saw my wife for the last time at a mutual friend's wedding, about a year after the divorce.
I didn't feel anything. No anger, no remorse, no attraction...nothing.
Well, that isn't entirely true. I did feel a little amusement at how much weight she had gained. Every pound I had lost went to her, it would seem.
Aside from a quick nod from across the room, there was no contact between us.
I am OK with that.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment