"If only.
If only I hadn't gotten the call from my Army buddies.
If only I had blown them off.
If only I had gone to the party.
If only.
I would have been driving.
I ALWAYS drove.
As smart, beautiful, wonderful as she was, she was a terrible driver. Scary, in fact.
She had been in numerous fender benders in her short driving career.
She just wasn't good at it.
I should have known. I should have been driving. I should have been there for her.
I was RESPONSIBLE for what had happened. I killed her, by my absence."
This is the soundtrack running over and over in my head. My only respite was when the alcohol sucked me into a drunken slumber.
I saw her there. Alive. Beautiful. Mine. Forever.
In the aftermath, I dropped out of college. I couldn't concentrate on school. Rather than flunk out, I withdrew. I would return when I had dealt with what I was mired in.
Several months later, I went back. I was still drinking most of the time, still running the soundtrack.
Disaster.
My hasty withdrawl from school had done something to my GI Bill. Some faceless drone in a cubicle had placed me into an ineligible file.
I had to pay my own way.
Kids do it every day. It is tough, but not impossible.
Unless you are a drunk, stuck in a bloody bog of sorrow that you cannot even begin to fathom.
If that is the case, you get another job... and begin dating someone as broken as you are.
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment