Alcoholics have a phrase, "A Moment of Clarity".
One morning, after working all night, I glanced at my wall.
There was a picture of me and my team, from my days in the Army.
I hadn't looked at it in a while, it was just part of the background.
I don't know why I looked at it, but I ended up staring at it.
The young man in the picture was lean. Strong. Clean cut. Smiling.
Where did he go?
I looked in the mirror. Chubby, bloated from alcohol. Long hair. Unshaven.
What would she think of me now?
The long hair and beard were a deliberate choice. I decided one night that I didn't want to look like the guy that had been flimflammed by Cheryl. It was an outward change, but at least I didn't have to look into the eyes of an idiot in the morning.
The hairy guy was a different guy.
I went to the barbershop that morning and got a haircut. I came home and shaved.
I threw away all my alcohol.
I didn't touch a drop for the next 6 months.
I lost weight, and began to actually feel better.
At the end of 6 months, I realized that I didn't miss booze. I wasn't an alcoholic. I had been a drunk.
At the end of 6 months, the debt was under control, only a third of it left. I consolidated it into a single loan, which freed up considerable disposable cash.
And I thought I was past all of it.
I was wrong.
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment