"Some say a hero is born to be brave
Well, I'm here to tell you
A hero is a scared man who doesn't walk away"
In my world, the worst thing a man can be is a coward. The ability to act when the chips are down, when the consequences are all or nothing... it is everything.
I am not a coward.
Yes, I am.
When faced with bad people, I act. I do not hesitate. I do not let whatever fear I have deter me from the things I need to do to go home at night.
When faced with good people who wish to share my life, I hesitate. My fear keeps me alone.
If I allow myself to be vulnerable to them, they are in a position to further damage me. They have shown no inclination to hurt me, but it is not a chance I am willing to take.
And this makes me a coward.
I believe it makes me less of a man, as well.
Yes, I go home every night.
To what?
An empty bed.
A solitary morning.
Coffee for one.
What if I were able to invite someone in?
What if I had someone to go home to?
What if I awakened in the morning to find someone special beside me?
What if I didn't come home one night?
Would I put someone else through what I have endured?
Can I do that to someone else?
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment