Young love, cut short by an accident.
I could relate.
Our tragedies had a lot of similarities. Our reactions to them had a lot of similarities.
I could plainly see the missteps she was making. The people she allowed access to her life that, had she been whole, would never have made it up to the front door.
The faults we hate most in others are the ones we excuse in ourselves.
We were romantically involved for a short period, but neither of us was whole, neither of us healthy, so that facet of our entanglement didn't sustain for long.
But our friendship has. Each of us sees in the other qualities we valued and lost, so long ago.
I often act as the chorus in her Greek tragedy. I warn her of upcoming pitfalls when she begins a new relationship. I see where these men are lacking, and I let her know what to look for.
I do not extend her the same courtesy.
Old habits die hard. In many ways, I am half a friend.
In the 6 years I have known her, she has never met a woman I have been involved with.
When I discuss issues I face, I do so in vague terms.
I trust her, but I do not let her in too close. No dangerous details.
Maybe, by helping her navigate the minefield, I can find the way through myself... should I ever have the courage to attempt passage.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment